Monday, September 28, 2009

Lackluster Lackey at Lily Bay

I write from site number 205 at Lily Bay State Park on Moosehead lake in Maine. Betty and I are on a mission. We are between shows, our next one is the Harbor Arts Juried Arts and Crafts Show in Camden Maine on October 3 and 4.

In the mean time we are on our way to northern Maine where our youngest son Aaron is installing his sculpture "intersect". It is a federal government commissioned work at the Jackman border crossing. It is on the main route to Quebec through Maine.

Aaron is going to set the sculpture today and tomorrow. It involves working between the lanes at the border and I worry a great deal about him. I offered to help but he didn't want my help, he hired two young strapping kids for the bull work.

The sculpture is a twelve foot diameter sphere comprised of 360 cast iron globes connected in a sort of haphazard way with black iron pipe.

I've seen drawn models of the work and last week I saw the entire sculpture laid out in pieces in Aaron's studio (something like a 4 bay garage) while he was putting final coats of something on it to make it rust properly..

Hopefully he will have the work completely installed on Tuesday, that is his plan anyway, we should be able to visit the sculpture Wednesday morning and take photos. I will try to post them on this blog if I can figure out how to do that. It won't be real pretty as the whole border crossing facility is being rebuilt and it is a huge construction site at this time.

I never intended on crossing the border into Canada and didn't think that I may have to in order to view the sculpture. Neither Betty nor I have our passports so the border lords may toss me off the property B4 I can get near enough to take photos anyway..

More sculpture drama another time..

No comments: